The fall has come and the students are back. Iowa City and campus are buzzing with a new found energy and I love it! Festivals, changing leaves, and of course football traditions are my favorite things about this time of year. One of my greatest regrets when I was a first-year student in college was not exploring the community soon enough. There’s a lot going on, and I was so distracted with everything that was happening on campus!
So, here are my top five recommendations for students new to Iowa City:
- The Englert Theater downtown is always bringing in different shows –comedians, musicians and even magicians! They even give out student rate tickets.
- Get outside! Fall is such a beautiful time of year and there are so many places to enjoy it. Head to
Lake McBride and check out a canoe with a friend, pack a picnic and walk to City Park, or rent a
bike and hit the trails.
- Head to the Pedestrian Mall downtown and pop into all of the local shops and book stores – there are so many great choices even if you’re not looking to buy anything. Some places offer discounts to current students.
- Through the end of October, Iowa City hosts a local Farmers Market every Wednesday and Saturday. There’s great food and many times live music to enjoy.
- Check out the incredible Hancher lineup! Whether you’re into theatre, music, or dance, the new performance building has something for you. Students get discounts on tickets for some events, too!
- Find the perfect pumpkin spice latte at one of Iowa City’s cozy coffee shops. High Ground Cafe, and Prairie Lights Bookstore and Cafe are some of my favorites!
So, grab a friend, floor mate or someone you just met and get to know the community together!