You’ve spent months visiting campuses, submitting applications, and hearing back about admission statuses. However, just because you’ve put in all the hard work doesn’t mean your stress levels have gone down. You may have people constantly asking where you’re going and what you’re studying, and you likely have classmates who have already made their decisions.
We get it. Right now, it’s super easy to get overwhelmed and anxious about your future, especially if you haven’t decided on where to attend college.
But here’s the thing: it’s okay not to have everything figured out. That doesn’t mean you’re behind. There’s still time to select your university and choose a starting major.
We aren’t going to tell you not to stress, because that’s not how destressing works. However, we are going to share a couple of things to remember to help keep your stress levels down:
- If you’re deciding between a couple of colleges, campus visits are a great choice to get a sense of if that university is for you. Plus, many places offer visit days just for admitted students.
- Give yourself time for self-care. Throw on a face mask. Watch an episode of your favorite comfort show. And don’t forget to drink some water – you’re probably dehydrated!
- Check your top university’s policies on housing applications. Many places, like Iowa, don’t require you to have accepted admission before submitting your housing application. If you’re really thinking about a school, you’ll appreciate having your spot in line for room selection when you make your decision to attend there.
- Research ways to help fund your education. Finances can be a huge factor in your college decision, and it’s important to know the resources to lower your overall cost. At Iowa, we have a whole site that goes into detail about different ways to maximize your financial aid.
- Enjoy the last months of your senior year. You likely won’t attend the same school as all your friends and you may not be involved in all the same activities and extra curriculars, so make sure to appreciate the time you still have with them.
- Know that there is no wrong decision. While we’d love to welcome you to Iowa as a Hawkeye, you’re going to choose the college that’s the right fit for you.
Amazing things are coming your way. Take a deep breath, accept an offer of admission when you’re ready, and know you’re going to have an amazing college experience.