In the crucible of trials and tribulations, there exists a constellation of quotes that have become more than mere words; they are mantras, guiding me through this adventure called university. While some of these are awfully clichéd, their enduring relevance is a testament to their universal appeal.
- Every cloud has a silver lining: When I found out I was to live in Mayflower, I was beyond disheartened. However, I’m so glad I ended up here. Beyond the obvious perks like a private bathroom and kitchen, what truly sets Mayflower apart is its people. With just over 1,000 residents, I’ve forged meaningful connections and friendships, especially during the challenges of On Iowa! Back when the Cambuses weren’t in service, we’d embark on a 30-minute walk to reach the main campus. Surprisingly, it was during those walks that I made some of the most unexpected and cherished connections.
- Take it one day at a time: When assignments line up or future worries loom, try to take things one day at a time so as to not overwhelm yourself. You don’t need to worry about everything at the same time. Make a list of things you need to do just today, meditate (I like to do a 5-minute candle gazing meditation on YouTube), and focus your attention on the tasks on hand. If the assignment’s too big, you don’t have to do it all in one day. In fact, it might be better to break it down into multiple days for better learning. After completing your tasks, jot down any lingering thoughts and call it a day. Approach this list the next day with a refreshed mindset.
- Live in the moment: Piggy-backing off of the last quote, don’t worry about all the assignments that are due when you’re out with friends or engaging in activities beyond studying. It’s important to socialize to prevent burnout and develop a well-rounded personality. It’s crucial to cherish the now, because before you know it, those four years will have flown by, and you’ll want to look back without regrets.
- We cannot become what we want, by remaining what we are: This has been THE mantra for me. It’s so important to keep working on yourself and getting out of your comfort zone. It can be the smallest of deliberate leaps, as long as it’s something different and it’s a step towards what you want to become. Each tiny move forward is a stride towards the person you aspire to be.
- If you love life, life will love you back: If you approach college life with a negative attitude, you’ll attract more of it and end up in a vicious cycle of negativity. It’s like a self-fulfilling prophecy, where bad vibes attract bad situations. On the flip side, if you see the bright side of things, it can lead to a more enjoyable ride. It’s all about the mindset you bring to the table!
- C’est la vie!: That’s life! Whenever something goes awry, just remember it’s all part of the wild ride called college.
- Qué será será!: This Spanish phrase translates to Whatever will be, will be! Focus your energy where it matters most, and find peace in accepting the rest.
- If you see something beautiful in someone, say it: Everyone likes receiving a compliment so don’t shy away from giving them out. You never know what someone may be going through or what they’re insecure about; you have what it takes to make someone’s day.
- It’s always darkest before dawn: This is just the perfect boost needed to get through the tough days – the knowledge that what happens next will be better.
- Do it for the plot: Inspired by TikTok, this is a fun one! Be a little spontaneous and say “Yes!” to unexpected, unplanned opportunities that come up. I’ve always noticed how the spur-of-the-moment excursions end up being the most fun and memorable ones. Now is the perfect moment to embrace that free-spirited energy and weave some amazing stories.
So, there you have it – these 10 quotes? They’re like your secret weapons for tackling any curveballs college throws your way. So go on, face those challenges with these mantras in your pocket, and watch how they light the way!