Hi everyone, welcome back!
On this blog, I’ve been talking a lot about the university in relation to academics, so I thought I’d switch it up and give you a glimpse into my favorite places in Iowa City!
To Study/Get Coffee:
- Dash Coffee Roasters: Dash is by far my go-to place when it comes to studying or going to get coffee with a friend. It is a place that a lot of students on campus don’t really know about because it is in a sort of hidden location. I love it because it is the closest coffee shop to the dorms. It’s just down the street from Catlett and Burge! If you are a plant lover or are super into aesthetic, cute places this is definitely someplace to try. I would recommend getting a latte and the pesto grilled cheese.
- Java House: This place is VERY popular on campus. It was one of the first places I went when I got to campus first semester. It’s always tricky to find a seat, so make sure to get there early :) I tend to prefer the atmosphere at Dash a little more, just because during busier times, Java can get loud, so it makes it a little more challenging to study. If you go, definitely get a breakfast sandwich; my favorite is the Spicy Southwest.
- The Dandy Lion: The best breakfast restaurant in Iowa City (in my opinion). It reminds me of a hometown diner, one where every employee knows every customer. It’s a very unique restaurant when it comes to style, vibe, and meals. The last time I was in, they had some very delicious sounding desserts on the menu, but I always find that the food is so good that I eat it all and never have enough time for dessert :( So, if you have any good desserts after your meal, please let me know.
Bring the Parents:
- Pullman Diner: This is by far my favorite restaurant in Iowa City, and has now become my parents’ favorite as well. The most special aspect of the restaurant is that it was designed based on the Pullman Train Car. You can’t go wrong with going to Pullman for brunch, lunch, or dinner!
- Vue Rooftop: You don’t have to be staying in the hotel to eat at the restaurant! But, make sure to schedule a reservation because it fills up very quickly, especially with COVID. The best part is the view you get of Iowa City; it’s so beautiful to look over the skyline, especially as the sun is setting :)
- Pitaya: I LOVE THIS STORE. I honestly think it has become my favorite store of all time just because the clothing is so cute, appropriate, and trendy! This is definitely a popular store for girls who are in sororities because there are some great clothing items for the different events they have. But, it’s also a nice place to shop for different holidays, and if you just want to treat yourself to a nice outfit :)
- Iowa Book: If you go to Iowa…so does your family. This store has so many different options when it comes to clothes for parents, grandparents, siblings, etc. There’s tons of Iowa gear, nic-nacs, and academic supplies. They also have lots of really great sales!
Alright, everyone! I hope you enjoyed hearing about a few of my favorite places in Iowa City. Don’t get me wrong, I love every place in the city, but these are places where I am a very frequent customer :) These are definitely places to go whether you are touring the campus, or are a current student and have never tried them!
Have a beautiful rest of your day :)
Quote of the day: “Celebrate the simple”~Unknown