With the year winding down, I figured I’d write a list of the things I’ve most enjoyed doing in Iowa City. These are especially fun to do with family when they visit and pick you up at the end of the year.
Some of my favorite restaurants:
- Crepes de Luxe: a small cafe with the most delicious crepes and a wonderful vibe
- The Dandy Lion: great breakfast/brunch food for a family visit
- Bluebird Diner: another great brunch spot, and an Iowa City staple
- Vue Rooftop: perfect for special occasions
- Big Grove: quick and easy food, and good for larger parties
- Artifacts: a fun store to look around at antiques
- The Haunted Bookshop: right now it’s by appointment only, but it has a large selection of books and adorable cats!
- Downtown shopping: some fun and quick stops include Basic Goods, Raygun, Record Collector, White Rabbit, and Heim
- Coral Ridge Mall: a little farther out, but good for larger stores
- Renee’s Ceramic Cafe: a fun place to take beginner pottery lessons and paint some pre-made pieces
- Tavern Blue: a restaurant that has indoor beach-themed mini golf
- City Park: a nice walk near the river and some pretty landscapes to enjoy
- Natural History Museum: offers a cool look into life in Iowa as well as animals from around the world
- Stanley Art Museum: really cool pieces in a brand-new building
- Explore campus: it’s fun to introduce parents to things around the school, or to hear them reminisce if they are alums!