College is definitely a lot different from high school especially when it comes to managing stress. I have definitely struggled with stress since August, but I have had a few tips that help me manage it 🙂
- Workout: Now when I say workout I do not mean you have to go spend 2 hours in the gym or go for a 10-mile run. But just do something to get your endorphins going.
- “So it stands to reason that if your body feels better, so does your mind. Exercise and other physical activity produce endorphins—chemicals in the brain that act as natural painkillers—and also improve the ability to sleep, which in turn reduces stress.” According to the Anxiety & Depression Association of America
- Taking time to clean up your space: Your space can change the way your brain thinks. If your space is cluttered your brain will feel cluttered so just keep your personal space clean. Do not go crazy with it but make sure you feel calm when going back to your room.
- Go to the Iowa counseling services: if you feel like everything is getting to be a lot, or you just are having a hard time, go visit the university counseling services. They are one of the UI confidential resources and are so helpful.
- REMINDER: Counseling and therapy IS COOL 😎
I hope you use these tips. Just know that everything gets better, it may not seem like it, but it does. Trust me, I have been there. Talk to someone, it can change your life.