Why I chose Iowa
- The welcoming and friendly environment. When I came on my campus visit everyone was so welcoming. From the moment I walked in the front doors at the IMU, I was greeted by friendly faces who were ready to help me find my way.
- The campus and downtown are intertwined. I loved how downtown was right across the street from the Pentacrest and everything was super walkable. There are even campus buildings right in the heart of the downtown district.
- All the major, minor, and certificate options. If you can think of it, it’s probably an option. It made me comfortable knowing that if I ever changed my mind about my career path/ major, I would more than likely be able to find something else I was interested in.
- Big 10 school. I loved the appeal of attending sporting events at Iowa.
What I think now
- The people really are as welcoming and friendly as they seemed during my visit. All the students and teachers here really just want to help you and see you succeed. Honestly, there are so many great resources from supplemental instruction to student health here on campus to help you thrive.
- With the campus being intertwined with downtown Iowa City it really makes for a great college town and college experience. All the great businesses and restaurants are within walking distance of the east-side dorms. The university and organizations on campus do a really good job partnering with the local businesses, which makes it really easy to get out and explore the downtown area. Being from a small town I’m really loving to get out and try all the coffee shops and explore downtown especially as we are approaching the holiday season.
- I came into college set on majoring in marketing, in the back of my head I always knew that if I ended up changing my mind I would have so many other major options to choose from. Although I have not changed my major (and don’t plan to…yet), I have added a super cool, media management minor that the university offers.
- Deciding to go to college at a BIG 10 school was honestly the best decision. Getting to go to all the home football games this season was a whole experience on its own. There’s just nothing like the atmosphere in Iowa City on a hawkeye gameday. I have attended a few of the home basketball games already this season and those are super fun too. It sounds cliche but the atmosphere created in Carver is one of a kind.
Overall my time at Iowa has been so much more than I expected. I have enjoyed my classes and I have gotten the support I needed to be successful, but so many students at other schools can say that too. What really makes Iowa stand out amongst other schools is the welcoming atmosphere and the great college experience. I know without a doubt that choosing the University of Iowa was the right decision to make and I can’t imagine spending four years anywhere else.