When starting your LinkedIn it can be very intimidating. I mean you are entering the adult world, ahhhhhh scary I know, but here is something that helped me when making my profile.
- Photo and Banner: When choosing my photo, I did not have a professional headshot so I looked through my photos and found one that I can use until I get a professional one. Also if you do not have any that would work through on a blazer and find a white wall and take one until you find one your love. When choosing my banner I wanted it to experse where I am going to school so I found a beautiful photo of Iowa city and set it as my banner. Your banner can be anything, your name, a photo of a building, Iowa city, really whatever you want but try to keep it professional lol.
- Name and Description: When putting your name and discerption nothing too fancy I put my full name, school, major and minor.
- About: When writing the “about” section, I wanted to be pretty to the point but genuine so I suggest you do the same. Here is mine for an example …” First-year Strategic Communication student, with a minor in Studio Art. My passion for communications brought me to the School of Liberal Arts and Sciences at the University of Iowa. The most valuable lesson I have learned from U of I has been the ability to adapt to change. I am looking forward to seeing where Iowa takes me in my college journey.”
- Experience: When putting in your experience make sure you put a job description. this shows what skill that you have learned and/or are learning that will help future employers see who you are.
- Education: I have both my high school and college on my LinkedIn. I put all of the activities I have been involved in and will continue to update them.
- Skills: When choosing my skill I thought about the jobs I have had and the ones I want in the future, there is also a quiz you can take in case you have no idea because that’s literally me.
- The last task, start connecting! Lookup companies you might want to work for, and people who have similar jobs. keep your profile updated and organized and you will be gold.
I hope this helps. I wish you so much luck adulting.