The stress of college can easily keep you sedentary at your desk studying, but it is important to get yourself moving outside of just going to class. Here are a few ways to keep active in college that is a low time commitment:
Sign up for campus 5ks
- News flash: you don’t have to run a 5k, you can walk, jog, or do a mix of both!
- Kickoff to Kinnick was this past weekend and is always a good starting point for 5ks when it comes to getting into running. There is a solid mix of people who walk and run this one, and there are discount codes for students to sign up if you keep your eyes open.
Take a morning walk
- When you are reviewing notes before class or rewatching lectures, do it in a mode where you can take it to go and get some steps in.
- I like to walk to go get my morning coffee and instead of listening to music on the way I will re-listen to a lecture to be productive at the same time.
Skip the CAMBUS
- Don’t get me wrong, the CAMBUS is amazing if there is terrible weather, but most of the time you can walk where you need to go in a more timely manner than waiting for the bus.
- Get those steps in!
Join an intramural sports team or a related club
- UIowa has a whole list of about every sport you can play as an intramural team. This gives you the ability to play a sport you love or just want to try without the whole commitment of playing for the official team. Here is the link for information regarding Uiowa’s intramural sports.
- Sometimes joining an intramural team is still too much of a commitment, and that is totally understandable. There are still ways to play sports in college to get moving. Here is a link to all of the registered UIowa student organizations that are related to sports or just getting moving.
Get your friends involved
- Getting a group of friends together to stay active not only will keep you accountable, but it adds to the fun of staying active. You can play spikeball on the Pentacrest, sand volleyball in City Park, or go on a walk and have someone to talk to.
- The Campus Recreation and Wellness Center have lots of group classes you can look into here. Super fun to do with people you already know!